Trigger Warning Dealing and coping with a person who self harms

Jayc2019

May 10, 2019
United Kingdom
forumcritic.com
Hi Everyone,

So i have a loved one who self harms, They are on meds and has / is receiving counseling and although this helps and trying to tell them if they get to the point of wanting to self harm please talk before this point it does not stop them from doing so, Plus trying to deal with aftermath.

I understand how hard this condition is to talk about but any advice would be really appreciated.

Best Regards
Jay

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Hey :)

I'm affraid there isn't much you can do to stop a person from harming themselves if the intent it already there.

It sounds to me like you are already being super supportive and giving this person a safe place to talk if they want too, which is excellent.

What sort of professional support is your loved one recieving and do they know the extent of the self injury? I find it can be a very difficult thing to open up about and quite often we keep it secret, even from our healthcare professionals.

I think it sounds like you are doing the very best you can to support this person and they are very lucky to have you around.

Reactions: Jayc2019

Jayc2019

May 10, 2019
United Kingdom
forumcritic.com
Hi Lee,

Thank you for your reply / kind words, They receive help from the youth mental health support team & local doctor.

It’s only after self harming that they realise but before doing so they can seem happy and fine and the next minute self harm, no indication it’s about to happen.

Best Regards
Jay

Lee

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, something will be a trigger for their mood to change.

Identifying the triggering event can often play a massive part in recovery - you need to know what is happening before you can decide how to fix it.

Keffie

May 19, 2019
Thanet
Hi ya, as a self harmer myself you are doing everything right. Just be there when they need you and don't judge, I know it's hard for you to see but this person needs you so much no matter how much they push you away and they will try. My partner takes a lot from me but his never once walked away. Just keep doing what you're doing and fingers crossed they will get the help they need.