• Welcome to Talk Depression!

We are a small online mental health support community with one simple goal, to help people realise they don't need to go through this alone.

Our goal is to offer a safe and secure place for you to get help and support from peers who know what it is like to suffer in silence. We want to help bring mental illness to the forefront and help to break the "taboo".

Please register for an account if you wish to participate in our community!

Hobbies as therapy

Agricola

Staff member
Volunteer
Do any of you have hobbies that you use as therapy?
I've found that over the years my hobbies are what keep me sane. I discovered a love of writing. When I was at school I used to love writing stories. I used to get good marks for them, but that was not why I wrote them. My home life was pretty terrible, I don't want to go into it here but I found that when I wrote my stories I could escape into the new worlds of fiction that I created. I also loved reading and my reading also influenced my writing. In the stories I was the hero or sometimes the villain but always a person who could do things. Who was brave, admirable, chivalrous helpful and wise, all the things I couldn't be at home. Now as an adult I have re- discovered the dramatic edge the tale telling and it brings me great solace. I blog now and that helps. Sometimes I write a story. Often it's linked to my work but not always. I've found other hobbies. I paint figures. Crafting paint work and detailing is very relaxing, I do research about uniforms and history and that too is an escape and I thoroughly enjoy that too. So have you a hobby? Have you something that you can do for you? Something that isn't necessarily created for others, something that you can find peace in. I hope I've inspired you to think if there is anything that you may have fancied doing but never got round to doing. Give it a shot, you may find that you enjoy it, and if it doesn't work out there are other things you can try. There's a whole world of wonder out there, stand strong I'd love to here if you have a hobby that's helped you. Talk soon love agricola

Lee

Staff member
Administration
Volunteer
I wouldn't say I use hobbies as therapy, but I do have a couple that I like to try and keep up with.

I collect warhammer 40k and I go to football matches

I find both enjoyable and relaxing

I use to go to the gym regularly too, but since the birth of our 2nd child I have had no time for that.

Kezza

Staff member
Volunteer
Premium Members
I’ve decovered the gym today lol I managed to loose 2 hours of my day today and loved it can’t wait to go back and swimming as well. But my therapy is definitely my bike that’s for sure.

Can't find a topic?

Share your experiences with like-minded people.
Post thread…

Article Categories

Anxiety
Community
Depression

Newest Blogs