Trigger Warning Speedway ups and downs

• Thanks for visiting our member blogging area.

There a few things to bear in mind whilst using this section:

• All content submitted remains the intelectual property of the author and as such Talk Depression can not be held liable for anything written or implied within.
    • Members should respect each others views and opinions at all times.
    • Do not post content which could trigger without an appropriate warning.

Welcome to our Community
We are a small online mental health support community with one simple goal, to help people realise they don't need to go through this alone. Our goal is to offer a safe and secure place for you to get help and support from peers who know what it is like to suffer in silence. We want to help bring mental illness to the forefront and help to break the "taboo".

Agricola

Staff member
Volunteer
Dec 24, 2017
England
I've mentioned before that I've become a speedway fan. It didn't happen over night I've done six years of speedway duties it took two years for me to realise there were only two teams lol. However Last year i finally broke down and learned the rules and admitted that I've come to really enjoy the sport. So tonight I thought I'd write about this evenings speedway.obviously including some medical stuff to keep colleagues and readers interested. My evening started out oddly, all day I have experienced what can only be described as a profound sense of peace. I got my uniform on and as idon't own a car I went to the bus stop, I was waiting and my bus was late. I then heard some shouting further down the road. Drunken fights are not uncommon where I am so I ignored all the commotion, but something just didn't sound quite right about its oi stuck my head out the bus stop and saw a elderly gentleman slumped forward on a mobility scooter, two men holding pint glasses where fumbling with the back of the scooter, and a woman was trying to talk to the old man. I watched for a minute and noticed one of the guys pull out a oxygen cylinder from the back of the mobility scooter and start to fumble with it the woman asked the man if it was working he shook his head. I started to walk over to them to offer my services, one of the men was very aggressive and said he didn't need help and was quite rude to me. I could see that the cylinder wasn't set up right so I persevered and eventually it was all sorted the old man suddenly perked up. Another five very pissed people turned up and they thanked me and all staggered up the road with the old man leading the way like the pied piper of hamelin. I went to the bus stop and found a guy on the floor surrounded by people literally a minute later. He looked as we say in the trade proper ill he was all yellow and not doing to well he refused a ambulance and my help but a man offered to stay with him to try and get him on his bus. I can't force treatment on people so I had no choice but to leave him with the other man and get on my own bus. I realised pretty quick that tonight was going to be a bit busy. I finally got to base and we got to speedway and almost straight away one of the children fell off, his dad got there and the kid was fine but we were all very quickly in the zone. I had a bad feeling grow that I couldn't shake off. The races continued and there were a few crashes but nothing major but suddenly a rides bike went out of control, the rider did the only thing he could do which was to ditch the bike into the fencing, he went down hard, first aiders and paramedic ran over we waited till they called the ambulance, when we got there on the track the bike was in the fencing and the rider was stuck under the barrier. We decamped with our kit and where in time to see him being eased out of the barrier, you could hear the broken bones cracking and grinding as they pulled him out. We got to work on stabilising him and I used a set of shears and then needed a second set as armour is tuff. Speedway riders will not let you cut their leathers, they are very expensive and they would rather die first. So when a guy is screaming at you to cut his leathers and armour off you know he's really ill. We had to shout at the crowd of people who had ran from the pits to get out of our way and get back so we could do our job. We got him in the ambulance and administered pain relief, it was clear that the upper arm was completely broken and was unstable so we had to stabilise the fracture which is very painful. A humerus is a very painful break and our rider was in considerable pain. We drove him off the track. I got into a discussion with the race paramedic, he wanted us to convey, he didn't realise that if our ambulance leaves the site then the event has to be cancelled. I pointed out that we could call county and they would send another truck sorry that's a word used for ambulance and then we could transfer him to their care so we can keep the race open. So that's what we did. County were fine when they arrived with two very nice ladies taking our patient away
The only time we would convey off site would be if a condition was life threatening and no ambulances are available. I have done this a few times the last time was the youth speedway school where a young kid came off and the handlebars turned and stuck him in the abdomen. After a few checks I realised he had internal bleeding with possible damage to the liver with a rapidly dropping BP so I decided to stop the event and take him in. The kid has subsequently retired from speedway..
The next crash this evening was quite dramatic just coming out of the bend the rider suddenly was thrown over the handlebars and struck hard face first into the track, his body then arched as the bike flipped over him and it looked to me like his neck broke, I don't often run as I'm quite fat but I reached him pretty quickly the paramedic was running as well which is also a very bad sign. I reached him expecting him to be dead and he suddenly jumped up, his helmet was split in half and he still had his teeth. We did some in depth spinal checks but the guy walked away with out a scratch he was incredibly lucky. And that is the end of that. We had a few more crashes but nothing serious and we left for home with the knowledge that we had all made a difference. I make it sound like I the only one working but I am part of a team of 8 who all work together, I am often doing a lot of things as I'm one of the 3 senior clinicians on site however we all work and support each other and I would like to say that I appreciate and respect my colleagues greatly and speedway is my favourite duty. I'm home now and that peace has returned. Stay strong everyone.

Last edited:

Lee

Staff member
Administration
Volunteer
May 3, 2016
Speed way sounds exciting. Do they attract decent crowds?

Latest posts

Newest Blogs