• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Talk Depression!

We are a small online mental health support community with one simple goal, to help people realise they don't need to go through this alone.

Our goal is to offer a safe and secure place for you to get help and support from peers who know what it is like to suffer in silence. We want to help bring mental illness to the forefront and help to break the "taboo".

Please register for an account if you wish to participate in our community!

PsychCentral There Is Always That Chance

E

Elaina J. Martin

This article has been shared from PsychCentral. Copyright remains with the author at all times.

You never know how people are going to react to your mental illness. Some people react with sympathy. Some react with fear. Some run. Some stay.

I had a fabulous date last week. New date L, picked me up with roses and a stuffed animal (so cute). He was a perfect gentleman, opening doors and pulling out my chair. Paying for lunch because “What kind of guy expects a girl to pay?” Unfortunately my fork touched the table so obviously I needed a new one. I explained to him that I had diagnosed OCD. He was totally inquisitive. Then he asked what else and guessed bipolar and more guessing and more guessing until I was beyond my comfort level.

He said, “Look, you don’t see me running, do you?”

He ran.

The next day I text him to thank him for a lovely time and to say that I hoped we spoke soon. Never heard from him again. I know it is a lot to take and I always ask you not to get into all that on a first date, but I wasn’t about to lie about it when asked directly. It would have come back to bite me in the butt. Lying is worse than being your true self.

So, live and learn.

Continue reading...

Advertising